Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fan...t...fic

Fantasy fiction was my first love. It started with The Lord of the Rings in the seventh grade.

No, it started with winning the bonus vocab word "gruesome" in third grade, which I'm still so proud of in adulthood that it's awkward. I drew a medieval castle for a school assignment that year. It had vines very precisely coiled and colored, and windows with faces, and I remember a girl standing in the mote with hair of the brightest yellow colored pencil I could find. There was a lot of activity in those castle windows, people and places and things, nouns, loaves of bread levitating in mid-air.

I procrastinated for two years. My poem "Dreamboat of Constellations," a highfalutin work, was published to an anthology in fifth grade; the same year that rather than actually reading a book for the weekly book report, I composed elaborate reports from my imagination and babbled about them to the class, my voice hyper and fast and warbling with my lie. I did it every single week for the exhilaration, not of laziness; I poured a lot of energy into making those books sound fully realized; beginning, middle, and end, protag- and antagonist. The only fake title I remember is "The Red Bookmark."

I didn't want to read when they told me to read; I wanted to create. The teacher must have investigated those books. I think he is a fucking charming individual for letting me continue without ever saying a word. It is because of this betrayal that I am the only young adult who has not read A Wrinkle in Time.

I procrastinated for two more years, reading only Stephen King and becoming bored with it.

I read The Lord of the Rings in seventh grade and made lots of awesome LotR fan shirts. I saw The Fellowship of the Ring so many times in theatres. Orlando Bloom became my effeminate fantasy. "I HEART Legolas" in Sharpie. I spelled it out like that, I HEART him. But in seventh grade I hearted everyone. I met a boy in an AOL chatroom; "I HEART JOHN" on a post-it on my chest, which I wore all over school.

I started writing my first book in eighth grade, a fantasy novel that I gagged over all summer under a tree of my former elementary school. There was a female warrior with purple dreadlocks, a teal-skinned alien that spoke an exotic language (hsilgnE sdrawkcab), and a lot of 'juniper melons' in the a;sdghkladgs trees. It was a far cry from my Dreamboat days.

My second attempt to write my first book, I was nineteen. An urban fantasy of which I had a couple hundreds pages completed, and a flourishing outline. There was an alcoholic vixen with purple dreadlocks, a hero with a cheetah's face, and a monstrous rabid pumpkin that pulls the vixen underground with its vines. The cheetah, whose name I forget, saves the hungover broad from being eaten. He does it with bow and arrow.

I deleted that project about a year ago. I didn't save a trace.

Then I got a job working with used books. I had by this point exhausted the libraries of Tolkien and Palahniuk and found the classics for the first time. I was introduced to the beats (belatedly, I say, as Dharma Bums would have serviced me greatly in high school). I read Updike and Vonnegut and Joyce and I can't imagine having never read any of it! I realized I was missing out on true inspiration. I didn't go to college; I won't learn anything if I don't educate myself through other people's masterpieces. If I had never broadened my library, I don't know... "Catcher in the Rye is really good," I'd have as a stock response to a real bookworm. "One Hundred Years of Solitude, eh? Never heard of..."

I considered writing under an androgynous pen name so that nobody would know I am a woman - that awful stigma, I thought, of a creative woman! I could tell that wouldn't work as soon as I started brainstorming my alias. More a-sexual than androgynous. Sam Howell, Howl Junior...

My sole purpose in life may be to write a book and get hit by a car, whatever it is how short how long, I know it's writing. I should stand by my writing and let it take my name.

If I was missing anything throughout high school, where I fooled around and didn't apply to college, partying my face off instead of studying my chosen path in fiction writing: I missed that vital influence of a female writer. There is something about it, a woman who aspires to write looking up to a woman writing. My greatest influences are mostly men, and I love those men to death; but then you read Sylvia Plath, and suddenly you are cranking out 8,188-word stories in first-person narrative, a style with which you have always struggled, and they're stories that make you laugh out loud because you're so happy with them.

Anyway I'm not writing fantasy fiction per se.