Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Second Great Flood

My kitchen flooded today. I was doing the dishes when I noticed a large puddle in the corner. I followed the trail back over to the sink, beneath which the trash can (empty, I never use it) overflowed with muggy water.

Photobucket


I lost my phone for about twenty minutes, and when I found it I called my building manager.
"Your what?"
"The pipe! Maybe it's missing a nut or something I don't know!"
"The pipe? Do you mean the drain?"
"Something broke."
"I'll be up in a few minutes."

I hid some wine glasses and bottles of cooking oil in the cupboard. I shoveled water from the trash can with a mug until it could be emptied into the bathtub. I cleaned the hell out of that tub later.

I only had two towels to mop up all the water. I didn't use a mop because a mop just kind've swirls around in the lake like a tentacled creature. I had to uhhh use a couple t-shirts.

Just now, I stood to close the window and realized my jacket and the lap of my pajama pants are damp, which is a feeling that makes my skin crawl, damp clothes.

The church bells are ringing in the distance at 9:21 pm.